Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Things That Stick In My Craw - Worst Christmas Gifts Ever

What goes through people's minds when they shop for Christmas presents? Or regift? Do some of them even *think* of who they are selecting a present for?

My worst present ever was from my last husband. It was our first Christmas together. I was excited as I opened a good sized box. Inside was a. . .toaster.

I looked up at him confused. He told me I'd been complaining that every time we get a toaster, it died on us, so he got an expensive European one. His mom took him aside later to tell him that unless a woman specifically asks for a practical present, never, EVER give them one.

The next Christmas I got two beautiful sweaters, some shirts and other "girly" things. He learned his lesson.

I asked some friends what their worst Christmas gifts were. They follow. Send me your worst Christmas gift - I really want to know what it was!

Kevin - I used to be really heavy. One year my wife bought a bunch of size medium shirts. Depressing.

PJ - It's got to be the fruit in the stocking. I would leave them in the stocking and find them rotten eventually.

Nancy - My worst would be back when I was a size 3, my Mom in law would get me XHUGE shirts/clothes. Good times!!

Joan - When I was very, very young my godfather used to give me underwear every single Xmas-the kind with days of week on it!!! Think that was his wife's doing. They had eight kids so it must have been important to her!!! Who knows?

Kathryn - Hubby had this eccentric great aunt who used to re-gift boxes of cherry cordials, which I don't particularly like. Actually had to eat one right there, thought I'd gag it back up.

Jennifer - I got a USED chapstick from my cousin the Avon lady. From the same chick came a hand painted sign that said "WELOME TO OUR HOME" for years all we ever said was "welome" instead of "welcome". C's are so over-rated anyway.

Shari - My parents always used to get me exercise stuff...not because I asked but because they wanted me skinny...so much for unconditional acceptance. :(

Laurie - Oh boy! It wasn't me, it was my friend. She played her video taped at Christmas that year. She said I wouldn't believe it and she was right. Her husband bought her a sponge mop. (???) Then, he handed her another package she thought was the "real" present. Excited to get it open - only to see it was .... REFILLS? I saw this with my own eyes. He thought it was a great present.

Britt - One of those weird 18 month calendars. "But there's still 6 good months on it!"

Gretchen - The year my brother gave me a tshirt and a coffee mug. I looked for a present for him for WEEKS, and I was totally pissed off. What made it even worse was when I told my mom how mad I was, she started to cry, because SHE gave him that LAME ASS idea of a Christmas present.

Cass - The xmas I spent with my ex-fiance and his father and step-mom was probably worst possible gifts ever. His mom and step-dad did great... I still have the spice rack she gave me, I still wear the sweater she bought me, etc. But his dad and step-mom? I got a cheap candle holder, an exacto knife, a few sample sized toiletries and... um.... I think that was it. It was like they went through the dollar store and grabbed a bunch of random things. What else should I have expected from a guy who gave me his step-mom's ring as an engagement ring, since she passed it on to him to try to create a family "heirloom"? Hint: it is not a family heirloom if you're a step-parent and the ring was something you got from an ex-boyfriend 15 years before. Oh, and it was totally not my type of ring either... gold with a diamond cluster (I like silver and a solitary diamond).

2 comments:

Chris P said...

A "Ho ho ho" Christmas tie that lights up from my mother-in-law. I'm a landscaper. I don't wear ties.

Anonymous said...

My mom insists cordial cherries are a "tradition" with us. Every year I tell her I don't eat them. I hate them. But she still gives me a box of them. I end up either throwing them out or regifting them (the latter I did this year).

Post a Comment