Monday, February 1, 2010

Things That Stick In My Craw - Women's Clothing

Why can't sizing on women's clothing be the same? It's so darned confusing at times!

Underwear size is based on what? The underwear company's whim? If I wear size 6 underwear, the 6 is for what? Not the size of my hips, that's for sure.

Bra sizes. Good lord. You know it was a man who invented this whole deal. But at least it's based on the measurement around your chest. Cup size? A, B, C, D, etc. They should have measured that based on fruit size, like one of those commercials on TV. It would make it easier to figure out what cup size you are instead of having to guess, or worse, have a salesperson feel you up.

Dress sizes. They should be the same as your underwear size. I'm just saying. It would definitely make it easier to choose something. And why is it that "designer" sizes are different from department store sizes? When I lived in California, I was a size 6, which translated into a size 8 or 10 when I moved first to Okinawa, Japan (on a military base), then to the east coast. And who came up with size 0?

Why are there no inbetween sizes? I'm between and 8 and 10, so I'm technically a 9. A size 8 is just a bit tight and 10 is a bit loose. I get so darned frustrated trying to find anything that fits me!

And jeans! Don't get me going there. Why is it men's jeans are based on waist size, but women's are based on their dress size? At least base them on our hip size, which would make a lot more sense. And why do some size 8 jeans fit okay, but others don't? Why isn't there a size standard? Where are the jeans police when you need them?

Women's tops. If they're not numbered (like size 6, 8, 10, 12, etc) they're small, medium and large. Ugh. I'm big up top (yes, in the breast area), so I end up buying a large so that it fits properly. But if I buy sweatpants, shorts, etc, I'm a medium. Talk about confusing!

Socks. How in the frell can one sock fit sizes 4-10? Does the person with the smaller foot swim in them? Why can't they have *all* socks be something like 4-6, 6-8, 8-10, etc?

At least shoe sizes are based on the length of your foot and you can use a foot ruler to figure out what size. But then you have to decide what width. Medium is "normal." I have yet to see a small or large shoe size. And lord help you if you have a wide foot. You get a limited selection to choose from, unless you want to go to a specialty shoe store that has Wide shoes, at a higher price, of course.

Bathing suits. Why is it that they are always one or two sizes larger than your dress size? I already hate wearing a bathing suit, don't make me feel worse about myself.

I say we women need to stand up and tell the clothing and shoe manufacturers we're not gonna take it anymore and we want standardization in sizes, dammit!

What sticks in your craw about women's clothing?

2 comments:

Netcrimes said...

Mine is hats. I have a really small head. I can never find a nice women's hat to fit my head and end up going in the kids department. Not a great selection there.

Keera Ann Fox said...

Shoe sizes are based on foot length? Y'know, you made me look. I can report that in spite of wearing size 8.5 US/39 Europe, I neither have 8.5" feet nor 39 cm feet. (10" and 27 cm. That last makes me feel dainty.)

As for bra cups, they are the only thing that does make sense: A is 13 cm bigger than chest width, B 15 cm bigger, etc. and so it's not just about the size of grapefruits - or grapes.

Other than that, I wholeheartedly agree. Sizing of women's clothing is purely a guessing game, even in the same store!

Post a Comment