Monday, November 23, 2009

Things That Stick In My Craw - Drive Thru Etiquette

I think the reason they call it a drive thru is because you're supposed to drive thru quickly and efficiently. When you go to a fast food place, bank, etc and it takes forever, then what's the purpose?

I asked some friends for their pet peeves about drive thrus and added my own:

My friend Deb: "When someone orders for the entire office, of course with special orders to make it take even extra long."

(I'll add this, if you are ordering for more than the number of people in your car, or if you have a van full of people, say up to 10, then park your vehicle and place the order inside. Don't piss the rest of us off)

Margaret hates people that serve at the window with dirty hands and hair.

My sister, Nancy, "Waiting forever for your order.....late for appt. then it comes finally and while rushing off....kids inform me, 'It's all burned!!! We can't eat this!!!' ARGH!!!"

Jennifer writes: "The fact that unless you drive a monster SUV, the service windows are WAY too high to be practical for people under 5'3"!" (or those smaller cars)

My friend Elizabeth has a long list: "You should be paying attention, moving ahead when the car in front of you moves ahead, not leaving a HUGE gap between you and the car in front of you so that the car behind you can't pull up to the speaker, and do not get out of your car to get something out of your trunk and hold up the line."

The things that stick in my craw? Not having your money ready when you get to the payment window. I always have mine ready when I get there to take less time.

Don't keep changing your mind and confusing the poor person taking your order. This only irritates those of us behind you and flusters the employees.

If the drive thru employee asks you to pull over because your order may take longer than expected, then pull over, dammit. Don't argue. There's a good reason they asked you to do this. Obey them.

Don't stay at the window to open your bag and check to make sure everything is there. Please pull up far enough so that I can get my order. If your order is wrong, then guess what? You have to park and go inside to take care of it. Sorry, Charlie!

If it's not on the menu, don't ask them if they have it.

If you're going to your bank drive thru, have your deposit/withdrawal slip and any checks already filled out and signed. And don't try to put rolled up coins through. You *know* better.

Again with the bank, if there is a problem, don't argue with the teller. Tell them you'll come inside to handle it. We really don't want to listen to you bitch and moan.

If there is a long line behind you and you know the employee at the window, forgo the small talk and tell them you'll talk to them another time. Please be polite to the rest of us. Or park your car and go inside to chat.

If you're an employee, don't leave the window open or mic on and bitch about me so that I can hear it. This actually happened to me at a Burger King once. I got to the window and politely asked if I could add a soda to my order. The man at the window huffed and puffed, turned around without remembering to close the window and called me a stupid bitch for not ordering the soda with the rest of my order. I was appalled. I wrote a lovely letter to the BK headquarters. I got a nice reply back, but I don't go to BK anymore unless it's the only place in town open (we live in a small town). And then I make my husband do the ordering.

Finally, it takes two seconds to smile, folks. The people behind that mic or window are working their butts off to get your order or bank account taken care of. If it's really busy and there's a long line and they forget something, don't take it out on them. Be nice, be polite, smile and you know what? You may get a little extra for being such a nice person. I've had this happen several times - extra fries or dessert from fast food and a lollipop from the bank. I love lollipops.

So, what sticks in your craw about drive thrus?

No comments:

Post a Comment